Q: What is a Provost?

The Provost is the Academic Vice President. The term is used widely in the United States for the chief academic officer at a university or college.

Q: What are the primary responsibilities of the Provost’s Office?

The responsibility of the Office of the Provost is to provide academic vision and leadership to fulfill the land-grant mission of Colorado State University. To chart CSU’s course to the forefront of excellence, the Office will articulate, communicate, and facilitate the development of fundamental values basic to the University’s mission and administer academic programs and policies with the utmost respect for and attention to our constituents’ needs.

Specifically, the Provost’s Office oversees academic programming and faculty affairs on campus. The Provost’s Office coordinates faculty and staff diversity initiatives, new faculty appointments, the promotion and tenure process, sabbatical leave requests, faculty evaluations including annual reviews and post-tenure reviews, student appeals, and special course fees.

Q: What is the Council of Deans?

The Council of Deans serves as a deliberative body to provide guidance and advice to the Provost/Executive Vice President. The Provost/Executive Vice President serves as the Chair. The other regular members of the Council of Deans are  the deans of the eight (8) colleges, the Dean of the Libraries, the Dean of the Graduate School, and the Chair of Faculty Council. The ex officio members of the Council of Deans shall be the vice provosts, the vice presidents, and the Chair of the Faculty Council Committee on Strategic and Financial Planning.

Q: What is the Advisory Committee on Undergraduate Affairs (ACUA)?

The Advisory Committee on Undergraduate Affairs (ACUA) advises the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs, Vice President for Student Affairs, and Vice President for Enrollment and Access. The ACUA addresses issues concerning undergraduate academics, student life, enrollment, and access that affect the quality of the undergraduate experience and the success of undergraduate students. The ACUA links University offices that support the undergraduate experience and acts as a deliberative body for policies proposed by other entities (e.g., the Council of Deans, Faculty Council, the Colorado General Assembly, and the Colorado Commission on Higher Education). The Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs serves as the Chair of ACUA. Other regular members include the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Vice President for Enrollment and Access, the Associate Provost for Educational Attainment, one (1) associate/assistant dean from each of the eight (8) colleges and the Libraries, the Vice Chair of Faculty Council, and any others as deemed appropriate by the ACUA.

Q: What is the Faculty Council?

Within the University, the major policy-making body on academic affairs is the Faculty Council. The Faculty Council is a representative body of elected and ex officio members having jurisdiction over educational policy, rules, and regulations.

Q: Where is the Academic Faculty and Administrative Professional Manual?

The policies and procedures outlined in the Academic Faculty and Administrative Professional Manual are for all academic faculty members’ and administrative professionals’ information and guidance as Colorado State University employees. All academic faculty members and administrative professionals are advised to consult the Faculty Council website for the most current version approved by the Board of Governors of the Colorado State University System. The Manual is available at www.facultycouncil.colostate.edu.

Q: Where can I find listings of open positions for faculty?

Open positions at the university are posted at https://jobs.colostate.edu.

Q: How are sabbatical leave requests handled?

The University offers academic faculty members the possibility of sabbatical leaves at any time after six years have elapsed since the faculty member’s initial appointment or most recent sabbatical leave. October 1st is the deadline for sabbatical requests to reach the Provost’s office. Please contact your department/college for more information and see the forms below.

Sabbatical Form
Sabbatical MOU

Q: Who handles tenure and promotion?

The Provost is directly responsible for tenure and promotion decisions. The Executive Assistant to the Provost manages the process. The deadline for dossiers to arrive at the Provost’s office is December 15th. For more information, please contact the dean of your college.

Q:What is an Emeritus/Emerita Faculty Appointment?

Faculty members who have completed ten (10) years or more of full-time or part-time service as faculty of Colorado State University shall be eligible at the time of their retirement from Colorado State University for an emeritus/emerita title equivalent to their highest faculty rank (e.g., emeritus associate professor). Faculty members who have held administrative positions (including department heads) for five (5) years or more shall be eligible for the emeritus/emerita title for these administrative positions (e.g., emerita associate dean).

An eligible member of the faculty may request emeritus/emerita status from the department at the same time of retirement from the University. The department head and the dean of the college shall forward the request to the Provost. As long as the requirements for eligibility are met, such forwarding is pro forma. The final decision on granting emeritus/emerita status will be made by the Board.

If possible, office or lab/office space and clerical support shall be provided to each emeritus/emerita faculty member who continues to do scholarly work.

Q: What are University Distinguished Professors?

The title of University Distinguished Professor is conferred upon the most outstanding faculty members of Colorado State University, ranking them among the most outstanding members of their discipline. The criterion for selection as a University Distinguished Professor is outstanding scholarship. Any person holding or qualified for the rank of professor with tenure at Colorado State University is eligible for the title of University Distinguished Professor. Any person who receives this title will hold it for the duration of their association with Colorado State University.

Q: What are University Distinguished Teaching Scholars?

Appointment as a University Distinguished Teaching Scholar is the University’s highest recognition of excellence in teaching. During the first three years of appointment, Teaching Scholars will undertake a project of their choice that promotes excellence in teaching. Any person holding tenure at CSU is eligible for the title of University Distinguished Teaching Scholar. The criterion for selection is outstanding teaching. The Committee on Teaching and Learning will oversee the selection process. Anyone who receives this title will hold this title for the duration of their association with Colorado State University.

Q: Whom should I ask about a problem with a specific course or instructor?

Contact the department head and then the dean of the college. If you are not satisfied with those responses, then contact the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs for further assistance with undergraduate courses or instructors or the Dean of the Graduate school for further assistance with graduate courses or instructors.

Q: How are new academic programs created?

New academic programs and changes to existing programs are proposed by the units responsible for the programs and go through a rigorous review process by the Faculty Council, the Council of Deans, the Colorado State University Board of Governors, and the Colorado Commission on Higher Education officials.

Q: How do I find information about graduate education and the Graduate School at CSU?

You can visit the Graduate School website or contact the Graduate School at (970) 491-6817.